What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Inch mortar X Ray

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Here's an interesting 3" Mortar i X-Rayed a few years ago.

Externally it looked just like a standard 3" mortar, but as you can see, internally it had what appear to pre formed fragmentation lines and a liquid level.

I'm looking for more information on this if anyone has seen something like this before.

Pete

3 inch mortar with frag rings for internet.jpg

3 inch mortar Smooth Bore

Hello Pete,

Here you can see an internal drawing of the 3 inch mortar, years '20. You can see that they are internally prefragmented.
About the liquid loading, I have no doc's. but what I can say is that Brandt have make the same projectiles for France and that they could probably be loaded with a chemical filling.

Yoda

Attachments

• 3 inch Mo SB-01.JPG
    3 inch Mo SB-01.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 102
Here's an interesting 3" Mortar i X-Rayed a few years ago.

Externally it looked just like a standard 3" mortar, but as you can see, internally it had what appear to pre formed fragmentation lines and a liquid level.

I'm looking for more information on this if anyone has seen something like this before.

Pete

View attachment 41551

He Pete

Seems to be a french Stokes Model 1918 .

Can be only water, if the shell has been thrown empty in the water , and re-discovered after .

May be also a smoke shell (oleum)

regards