What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 x 170 headstamp

2pounder

Premium Member
picked up a case empty and inert, on Saturday 30 x 170 RL with a double row of spaced crimps around the neck and a headstamp that has me slightly puzzled. Any info please on this;

1 5 at 12 o'clock, S at 3pm, 56 at 6pm and PS in an almost heart shaped symbol. all are the correct way up when in the vertical 12 o'clock position. The electric primer has 11-56 Oe on it. My guess is Swiss from 1956 but would like to be a bit more sure. And of course is it rare and interesting? Thanks.

Not one i've come accross buddy and i have a few 30x170's. Sorry can't be of any help. Experimental electric primer mabye? Over to you Dave?

C.

picked up a case empty and inert, on Saturday 30 x 170 RL with a double row of spaced crimps around the neck and a headstamp that has me slightly puzzled. Any info please on this;

1 5 at 12 o'clock, S at 3pm, 56 at 6pm and PS in an almost heart shaped symbol. all are the correct way up when in the vertical 12 o'clock position. The electric primer has 11-56 Oe on it. My guess is Swiss from 1956 but would like to be a bit more sure. And of course is it rare and interesting? Thanks.

Any chance of a photo please? Headstamp plus the profile of the case.
Ta.
Dave.

couple of photos, I'd say the profile is the same as the Rarden beside it but the crimping is different. Thanks for the id on the maker, sure the photo will confirm it but add to the questions why made in Luxemburg? own defence?DSCF0535.JPGDSCF0537.JPG

No, it is the case manufacturer of Oerlikon.

I'd say that any non-British made 30x170 case is a HS 830/831 as the one here. The double row crimp is a normal feature of these.

Hello,
I have a quick question, PSW would not "Press und StanzWerke AG " at Eschen to Liechtenstein.

Thanks everyone, I have re read and I take it that Oerlikon did not make their own cases but used a contractor. Still one question, how common?

Ah, was it Liechtenstein? I tend to mix up the 2 ... Should have checked before.