What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 .32

Z

zekehp

Has anyone heard of a .303 .32 chamber adapter? I just found one. It is marked on the base PAT NOV 7 95 M S A CO. It is also marked on the side .303 .32 S & W. It is 1.5" or 3.8 cm. I will try to email photos. Thanks. Mike.

I think what you might have there is a sub-caliber insert for the .303 rifle.
They were big in the 1980's for hunters to have on hand- carrying a full caliber rifle in the right hunting season, but, with a few of these inserts, a hunter could more quietly poach smaller game that was out of season.

They were meant to provide for cheap training with the full up rifle, and allow for less of a backstop on a shooting range by the use of the smaller round being fired.

Kinda neat to have one in a rifle caliber. As I recall- the majority were designed to make shotguns into various rifle and pistol calibers....

E-Tec

E-tech,

is spot on. A few people here in the USA bought them up for poaching.

Hello Z,
Look up 'Morris Tubes'. They were used as training aids in Britain. Also check out the 'Pedersen Device' which was a semi-automatic mechanism which was used with the modified US Springfield M1903 rifle which enabled it to fire .30 pistol cartridges. (US info, see Encyclopaedia of Firearms by Harold L Peterson), not to be confused with Pedersen!
Hope this helps,
navyman.

Adaptors

Adaptors to fire either regular .32 rounds or special patented types from a .303 rifle were quite popular in the early part of the 20th Century. I presume the patent date on yours refers to 1895.

Can you post a picture please.

Here are a couple of pictures of adaptors and patent cartridges. none of them take a .32 revolver round but you can see the principle.

Regards
TonyE

adap.jpg

Docu0002.jpg