What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303" blank again!

smle2009

Hello everyone,
Can anyone help with any information on this .303" blank in my collection as it has much flatter profile of the rose crimp,would this have a specific use or just a manufacturing variance? I have examples of .303" blanks dating from 1909 onwards & this is the only one I have come across,the head stamp is two broad arrows E 12 VII
As one of the broad arrows has overstamped the E(Eley) would this be a prime case(pun intended!) for a reason for a ball case being used for a blank cartridge?

Cheers Tony

Last edited:
Blank

The flattened style of the crimp is only a manufacturing variation, and quite common on Eley blanks.

Also, the fact that the arrow covers the "E" is not cause for the use of the case as a blank. The two broad arrows were stamped on all contractors cases that were accepted into government service between 1907 and 1914. Presumably it was stopped then because it was another stage of manufacture/acceptance that would have slowed wartime production.

There could be a number of reasons for the case being used as a blank, but it is usually impossible to tell. It could be something as simple as an overun on case production.

However, Eley did have a difficult relationship with the War Office and had lost all their government contracts between about 1900 and 1908 due to quality issues.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks TonyE,
Another one cleared up for me! I think I can have a serious attempt to catalogue my collection now!
Cheers Tony