What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Brit "DA 12 09 VI"

sksvlad

I send this to Municion.org and the web site put 1912 as the year of production. Probably my fault. I think it is December 1909. Am I right?

.303 Brit DA 12 1909 VI.jpg

I hope someone can answer this because I have "DA" used between 1945 & 1958 and "DAC with arrow" used 1920 to 1945 so not 1912 or 1909, I think this could be a very late "DA" made Dec 1960 even though I have notes say stopped using "DA" in 1958. It does look like 60 to me not 09

Rich

It was a long day yesterday Jim I never even noticed it was MkVI, Oh well I had a good sleep last night anyway. :)

I didn't think they started using the month in the headstamp until much later ??

Rich

I have D^C 7 08 VI & DA 12 09 VI dated Canadian Rounds,it would seem that when the headstamp was changed to DAC the month was dropped and the full year numbers were used,the example I have is (clockwise from the 12 0'clock position DAC 11 VI 19.....so it would seem that early Canadian .303" did include the month as well as the year.....maybe you are thinking of the early CAC NZ and Austrailian rounds Rich....Impossible to tell the difference(out of the packet) until Australia added the month to their headstamp.

Tony

Possibly a little late to reply to this thread, if so my apologies.

Canada added the month and year to the headstamps around June 1905, and it was added until late 1910, according to my records. The full year date is supposed to have commenced in late 1910.
(CAC Australia started the month/year dating in May 1905, and this continued until August 1936, through the changes in monogram after the Commonwealth took over the factory) .