What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 British Dummy/Drill. NZ Pattern?

falcon5nz

I have 3 Dummy/Drill rounds with 6 length flutes and 3 stab crimp's and CN projectiles.
Was there ever an NZ pattern .303 Dummy? The reason I beleive the are NZ is that they are all CAC hstp

Hi Mate. i have just had a look CAC NZ made a Drill, D Mk 9 a Dummy Mks 3 & 4 and a none regulation one also CAC Australia made a dummy as well i hope this helps. this one in pic is Aussie.
Andy

Attachments

• P1020426.jpg
    P1020426.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 15
  • P1020427.jpg
    P1020427.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi Andy,
I think your drill round may A NZ example Austrailian CAC were marked with the month of maufacture after 1906
Cheers Tony

Hi Andy.
think I made a bit of a "cock up" think they stopped using CAC headstamp in 1920 in Aus and went on to F and M headstamps!
Cheers Tony:tinysmile_cry_t2:

Hi Mate according to what i have just found is that Aussie made ball Mk7 and dummy during 1920-21
Andy

Tony that's it! I have a 42 and a 40 (the third is in a can and I haven't dug it out yet.) Looking closely at mine there is still traces of blacking in the flutes and the "step" between the case and projectile.

Hi Falcon,
CAC/NZ did produce a local pattern drill 303 and it was blackened,so I think that is what you have,Andy because yours is dated 1942 I'm sure you have the same and it is also blackened.
Cheers Tony

N.Z. Drill

This is the "Cartridge S.A. Dummy, Drill, .303-inch, L.P. (New Zealand Local Pattern).

It was made in two batches, distinguished by the ball headstamp dates of 1940 and 1942. Often the cap chamber shows various faults which was why they were reject cases made into drill rounds.

Although these are normally blackened, chromed cases with the distinctive six flutes also exist, and I have one dated 1942 that has the cap chamber drilled out.

Regards
TonyE