What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Kynoch & Canadian queries

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good morning, I wonder if anyone can tell me what the following 303 rounds are please. The first appears to be a commercial MkVII, the headstamp being 'Kynoch 303' but why is the head blackened?

The second round is Canadian, the headstamp is 'DI 1943 Z'. The whole case and bullet have been chemically darkened - any idea why?

many thanks, dave

Attachments

• 100_0536.jpg
    100_0536.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0533.jpg
    100_0533.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_0532.jpg
    100_0532.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0535.jpg
    100_0535.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 60
Hi Dave,

The Kynoch one with the black head is a match round, dating from 1946 or just after. The bullet would not be a Mk.VII ball, but a boat-tailed one very similar to the military Mk.8. They soon changed the headstamp to KYNOCH 303 SL., and chemically blackened the bottom 1/2" of the case.

The Canadian one might have been for mine sinking, I think I vaguely remember something about this.

Regards,
Roger.

many thanks for that Roger. Mine sinking?! Hmm, I wouldn't ever have thought of that. Why would they have differentiated between 'normal' and these rounds? Any thoughts? I'll have a go at following up on that lead. Dave

To me the Canadian one looks like normal aging patina. I have seen this sort of tarnish on other rounds. It depends on the environment it was stored in.

To me the Canadian one looks like normal aging patina. I have seen this sort of tarnish on other rounds. It depends on the environment it was stored in.[/QUOTE

No, I don't think its age patina. Its very even all over and hasn't changed in the 20 odd years that I've had it

Have to agree that the Canadian one looks like normal patina. It has not been blackened. Makes excellent shooting ammo.

The only thing that is 'tripping' me up with both of these is that the primers are both blackened? most examples I've seen of case/head blacking the primer is usually still bright as the chemical blacking is done before the priming/loading?

Following on from smle2009 both primers are stuck so it is unlikely that the bullets are correct, as Roger says the first one is a match round and would have had the "streamlined" bullet in. The Canadian one if fired as it looks, then the original bullet would have gone and this new bullet would not be the same as the case "if darkened on manufacture". So if anything has been done to the round it looks like it has been done after re-loading, but I agree with the others it does not look chemically blackened to me.

Rich

PS I have a few spare streamlined bullets if you want one to replace the MkVII in your Kynoch case.