What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 proof rounds

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone tell me the correct bullet for a .303 mk 3 proof round I have 2 but I want to check they have the correct bullets or any photo's would be nice.

headstamp - RG 56 Q3

1 has a rifle fired primer and the other a bren fired primer.

many thanks
Richard

Prof rounds

For an RG 56 Q3 proof round the correct bullet is a normal 174 grn Mark VII. Earlier versions of the Q3 had the 215 grn Mark VI round nosed bullet but post war they were 174 grns.

Originally the QIII had been used to proof rifles and the QIV for machine guns, but in June 1941 it was decided to use the QIII for both with the 174 grn bullet at a pressure of 25 t.s.i., until a new QV cartridge could be introduced.

In the event this never happened so the QIII continued (becoming the Q3 after 1945) until the end of the life of the .303.

I can put up pictures if required.

Regards
TonyE

Proof

I will post pictures tomorrow, as I don't have time to sort the rounds out now.

Regards
TonyE

Proof

Here are the pictures as promised.

First picture:

R^L 40 QIV with 174 grn bullet, copper washed case.
R^L 1941 QIV with 215 grn bullet, copper washed case.
DAC 1941 QIV, copper washed case.
DAC 1942 VII with complete base lacquered red

Second:

RG 55 Q3, copper washed case.
MF 57 Q3, copper washed case.
GB 58 OSP

The last round was I believe made for the Birmingham Proof House and "OSP" stands for "Over service Pressure".

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Proof IV.jpg
    Proof IV.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Proof 3 OSP.jpg
    Proof 3 OSP.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 36
Many thanks for that Tony, I think mine have a commercial bullet in them. Is it possible to get hold of the correct bullets.

Richard.

proof

The correct bullet would be a regular Mark VII ball bullet made by RG with a GM envelope. They did not make special bullets for the 174 grn proof rounds.

Just get hold of a contemporary RG ball round and use the bullet. If you do not have one to hand, PM with your address and I will send you one.

Regards
TonyE