What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 question

uusmario

large_20871083_v49c.jpg

What does a yellow stripe mean on a .303 round, never seen that feature before.

although I'm not a .303 expert, I would have to guess that the case mouth sealant caused the "yellow" appearing area to tarnish/rust/etc. differently from the rest of the bullet, causing that appearance.

Taber

Hi ussmario,
any chance of a photo of the base of the bullet of the broken off one & of the headstamp?
Cheers Tony

Hi uusmario,
I would like to take this chance to remind users of this forum of the rules...
These rounds you have posted pictures of appear to be live and you have not stated otherwise.
Best regards Weasel.

POSTING IMAGES OF LIVE OR DUG ORDNANCE IS NOT PERMITTED ON BOCN
Only Ordnance approved Members can post images of live or dug ordnance.
These members are persons who are employed or have been employed in Legitimate ordnance clearance or EOD for professional companys or governments.
The only exception is Historical images news articles etc.
Discussion of EOD procedures explosive composition etc is still not permitted on site even by members who are "ordnance approved"
This ruling was implemented for public safety reasons
Failure to abide/agree with this rule will result in removal of the images/posts and if repeat breach of this ruling occurs the member will be banned from BOCN
If you think you should be in the "ordnance approved" group please contact me via PM with your details
Ordnance Approval will only be considered for members who have been active on site for 4 weeks or more

although I'm not a .303 expert, I would have to guess that the case mouth sealant caused the "yellow" appearing area to tarnish/rust/etc. differently from the rest of the bullet, causing that appearance.

I thoght about it, but "stripe" seems to be too high

Nothing unusual about the headstamps! on the first photo with the broken off neck still attached,can you photo inside of this to see the base of the bullet?
If there is nothing "odd" with this I think we will have to wait until TonyE comes back!
Cheers Tony

Shellac sealant ?

I expect Tony E will conform this but I think what you have are two examples of bullets being waterproofed into cases using "Shellac or Lacquer" as a means of providing a water resistant seal which has not deteriorated during the rounds life-the yellow is most likely "Shellac" with that age of round.

Hi uusmario,
Nothing odd about the bullet bases,I tend to agree with Chris 42 RQ,on the top round there looks like the same substance on the neck of the case,on the lower(broken) the bullet looks partly removed from the neck?
And yes think we should wait until TonyE comes back!

Lacquer

Spot on guys. The mark is simply the waterproofing lacquer that the necks were coated with before insertion of the bullets. The rest of the case and bullet have oxidised over time, but the cupro-nickel under the lacquer has maintained its silver appearance which with the slight colour of the lacquer itself give a yellow appearance.

Two of the headstamps are normal WWI ball rounds. "G17F3" is Government Cartridge factory No.3 at Blackpole, Worcs., and "J 17" is Birmingham Metals and Munitions Co. Ltd at the old Joyce plant at Abbey Wood in Kent. The other is a 1936 kynoch of course.

Regards
Tony