What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 stripper clip

smle2009

Hi all,
Found this amongst a large pile of buried WW2 303 cases last weekend,there were also Mk2 & 3 as well as the usual Mk4 stripper clips,it has slots in the base like the Mk2,is this, or what's left of it ,a MkI ? never seen one!
Tony

Attachments

• P9120019.jpg
    P9120019.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 21
Chargers

Here are the four Marks of British Charger, from left to right.

Yours is obviously a variation, possibly of a Mark II.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 303chagersbase.jpg
    303chagersbase.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 303chargersside.jpg
    303chargersside.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 39
Thanks TonyE,
I was getting ready to build a time machine to go back & get it before it started to rust if I was a Mk I !!! I thought it was a charger only if the weapon relied on it to function like the Garand?
How did the Arms fair go?
Cheers Tony

Chargers v. clips

No, t'other way round. In British terminology a charger puts rounds into the magazine but is then removed, whilst a clip is an integral part of the feed mechanism, e.g. Garand, Mannlicher etc.

Arms Fair was dead today, but I found a couple od nice War Service badges, one for Woolwich Arsenal and one for Beck, who made gun sights and Scout telescopes.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• War Service.jpg
    War Service.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi TonyE,
I have sat here for ages comparing the picture you sent of the Mk I charger,with the remains of the one I found,perhaps I'm missing something here but all the features of them both match,two long oval holes then a round one,slots in the bottom without the reinforcement "grooves" and the shallow angle of the "throat" even the little "exclamation" impession before the first the first hole, go on put me out of misery as to why it's obviously a Mk II variant,please be gentle with me I am still learning:eek:oh:
CheersTony

Hi TonyE,
not much better photos,and have you a photo of the Mk V charger?
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• P9120021.jpg
    P9120021.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P9120022.jpg
    P9120022.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P9120023.jpg
    P9120023.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P9120024.jpg
    P9120024.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3
  • P9120025.jpg
    P9120025.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2
Mk I

Sorry, but that was typo on my part, I meant a variation of the Mark I.

I said variation because I thought the end looked different, but having another look I agree with you and it looks like a regular Mark I.

Attached is a picture of the Mark V which never actually made it to service. The one I had (before the late great Herb Woodend "stole" it from me was marked "Hinks & Wells").

Cheers
TonyE

Attachments

• 303Russian.jpg
    303Russian.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks TonyE,
Don't suppose you have a time machine I could borrow!? & thanks for the photo,I see what you ment by them being simiular to the Nagant clip!
Cheers Tony

Time machine

Sorry, all seats on the Time Machine are taken, as I am shortly returning to Woolwich Arsenal in 1918 to fill up with all the WWI experimental .303s plus the .600/500 and Air Service .45 Brocks, Pomeroys and RTS loads!

Regards and wishful thinking,
TonyE

No, t'other way round. In British terminology a charger puts rounds into the magazine but is then removed, whilst a clip is an integral part of the feed mechanism, e.g. Garand, Mannlicher etc.

Arms Fair was dead today, but I found a couple od nice War Service badges, one for Woolwich Arsenal and one for Beck, who made gun sights and Scout telescopes.

Regards
TonyE
l say, really like them Tony. Do you have any for the ROF workers? Ron.

war Service

He had a couple of others for private companies like Beck and another Woolwich one and I think I will give him a call and get them. They are not going to make any more and they were not expensive.

Cheers
Tony