What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30MM AAI experimental shell.

Slick

A 30 x 160. Plastic hull w/alloy base. Not sure what it was to be used in, gun wise.

Shell, 30mm AAI Experimental sectioned 004 (Small).jpg Shell, 30mm AAI Experimental sectioned 001 (Small).jpg Shell, 30mm AAI Experimental sectioned 003 (Small).jpg Shell, 30mm AAI Experimental sectioned 002 (Small).jpg

Yea. Somewhere along the line, somebody glued that projectile in the case. Anybody got a pic of what a "real" one looked like?

Yea. Somewhere along the line, somebody glued that projectile in the case. Anybody got a pic of what a "real" one looked like?

Rick, attached some photos of "a real one".
According to Dale Davis book "Historical development summary of automatic cannon caliber ammunition: 20-30mm" they were used extensively in single shot firings at AAI. At the time these were made neither the Ford or General Electric GAU 8 cases had been designed and built so AAI built their own.
Dave.

001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

I noticed in Slicks first post, the TP projectile had the Lot number showing Kingsbury Ordnance Plant, laPort, IN. Was this the projectile that came with the cart case? I know KOP had a rea where Armor Research, (think that is the right name) did a lot of testing. Even after the plant closed they kept their area open and last time I was there they were doing blast overpressure tests on a couple Italian land mines.

KOP also did a lot of loading of the Beano grenades, we found their bodies all over while doing some UXO surveys.

"Was this the projectile that came with the cart case?"

Yes. Glued in, apparently.