What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Aden. Turned projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
Another Beltring find that I can't work out.
Its a lathe turned Aden type projectile.
As the Aden projectiles are usually drawn a bit like cases rather than turned this is a bit of a mystery.
I'm sure its a real one and not something someone has made up.
Stencilling says
SHE LOT ?
01-59

Stamping says
02-57
SHE

The fuze empty and the internal profile is the same as the external profile of the fuze.

Does anyone have any ideas?

All INERT and empty etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 30mm Aden mystery 001.jpg
    30mm Aden mystery 001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 30mm Aden mystery 002.jpg
    30mm Aden mystery 002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 30mm Aden mystery 003.jpg
    30mm Aden mystery 003.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 30mm Aden mystery 004.jpg
    30mm Aden mystery 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 38
Strange the stenciling on the projectile reminisent of defa projectile dave. perhaps they experimented with turning for a while then shelved it.There seems to be a ridge in the crimping groove ?I havnt seen one like it but nice find dave
mick

Dave,

It looks like a TP projectile that the U.S. Marines used, back when their Harriers still had the Aden guns on them. It definitely looks real to me. I believe that the U.S. was buying thier ammo for the Adens from the U.K.

Strange the stenciling on the projectile reminisent of defa projectile dave. perhaps they experimented with turning for a while then shelved it.There seems to be a ridge in the crimping groove ?I havnt seen one like it but nice find dave
mick

Hi Mick, there's not a ridge in the crimping goove, there's a bit of oil/crud in there. I thought it looked a bit like a defa in appearance but the base of the projectile is very Aden.
Dave.

Dave,

It looks like a TP projectile that the U.S. Marines used, back when their Harriers still had the Aden guns on them. It definitely looks real to me. I believe that the U.S. was buying thier ammo for the Adens from the U.K.

Thanks for the background into John. I'm still puzzled by the turned body, if they were buying ammo for the Adens from the UK I'd have assumed (possibly incorrectly) that they'd have just used the standard prac projectiles used in the UK.
I suppose another line of thought is that with the standard prac projectiles there is a aluminium plug that extends the full length of the projectile, perhaps with the lathe turned version the projectile wall is thicker (it is) therefore the need to have such a long plug is not required so making manufacture easier?
Dave.