What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm GAU-8 TP (Fired) Help!

Ornate

30mm GAU-8 TP

Hello there everyone! I've got myself a 30mm GAU-8 projectile.
Just thought I'd share it and ask a few questions:
Why were the driving bands plastic?
Is the nose supposed to unscrew from the base?
If I were to repaint, what exact colour do I need?
Why were there two driving bands?
Many thanks :)
Mitch.
11289952_1420863301571384_911090008_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ornate,
I am far from "the expert" on the GAU-8 gun system; however, the plastic bands were to (1) reduce wear on the bore and (2) save weight. The "nose" or projectile does not screw into the "base" or casing--it is crimped in. There are "dummy" or training/drill rounds with a hex drive cap screw as part of the construction, but you could not describe one of these as "fired" as they are completely inert. You have the correct color for the TP in the remaining paint on the windshield/nose cone--just match that paint color.

Hi there ............The driving bands were made of nylon/Teflon to reduce barrel erosion and wear ( at 4200RPM on high rate and 2100rpm at low rate , bbl. wear is a concern ) the earlier projos had two bands and later ones had one wide band. The nose was a thin aluminum wind shield/ screen and was pressed to the body and not removable . the nearest color for the body in rattle can spray paint is Rustoleum satin wildflower blue but the alum. nose was blue anodized , not painted . The two bands were supposed to stabilized the projo better in the bore. I think the mfgr. went back to two bands in lieu of the single band post 1986 time frame
I was , for many years , assigned to the 354th TFW / 356 TFS " Green Demons " at Myrtle Beach AFB and loaded countless hundred thousand rounds of 30mm ammo !! Also , the bands would leave traces in the bore to assist in coating the bore for corrosion control . Along with chrome plating in the bore !

Last edited:
Thanks to you both! Handy information for me.
Shame I won't be able to get the nose off, but hey ho!
Mitch

Hi,
what intrigues me, is how it is possible that the thin wind shield is still with paint, undamaged/ not dented, (even present at all) when it is fired. I have one like this as well and also is a collecting friend of me. He picked the two up at a gunnery range.

Regards, Cornman

Hi,
what intrigues me, is how it is possible that the thin wind shield is still with paint, undamaged/ not dented, (even present at all) when it is fired. I have one like this as well and also is a collecting friend of me. He picked the two up at a gunnery range.

Regards, Cornman

Must've just been the material it hit! By luck? :)
No idea other than that.
Even then it's still travelling at quite the speed....
Intriguing!!