What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm MK108

Spaceinvader

Hello!
I have had this round for a year or two and I was wondering about the projectile. The casing is in pretty good condition, 98% of the lacquer is still on it and a small crack on the mouth of the case. The projectile on the other hand is in bad condition. Someone took it to an angle grinder, im assuming to make it fit in the case, and to get the fuze out, ripped it out with a wrench or something. The fuze has to big indents where it was grabbed, and the threads on the fuze AND projectile are completely gone. And last, I was wondering what is the stuff on the projectile? I have never seen another with this stuff on it, its covering the drive band and everything, fairly certain its not paint or the steel. So im asking, what should I do with the projectile? Try and save it or just put it in the junk drawer? If so what is the colors for a HE projectile? Thanks!
Rhys DSCN1784[1].jpgDSCN1783[1].jpgDSCN1786[1].jpgDSCN1787[1].jpgDSCN1788[1].jpgDSCN1789[1].jpgDSCN1792[1].jpg

The paint on this projectile is Original, it,s called grau.

Your projectile is a Minen Granate Ubung (practice), and normally fild with Tar.

The fuze is a Zunderersatzstuck

Oh okay that's really interesting. I was looking at some pictures and noticed the opening for the fuze was smaller on this round than HE rounds. Anyone got some suggestions for restoring the fuze? or the bottom of the projectile?

Unfortunately not a lot you can do!
You could gently dress out the damage - but that will result in more material removal & removal of any remaining paint.
I would suggest you just assemble it & stand it up in your display.
Not too common so as an example in your collection it is fine until you happen across a better example?

Hey Spaceinvader,

Get in touch with or make a friend on mainland Europe, they should be able to pick one up for you (or another one of the many b varities for 103/108) plenty to go around and not that hard to come by in good condition.
You might check out a "certain" German auction site as well.

regards,

Menno.