What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm round

navyman

Hello,
I'm updating my catalogue and need some help with this round. It's 30mm but has no headstamp at all. The projectile has only RG 90 stamped on it, (Radway Green & Date ?), the only other mark is XX IV scratched on it. Could this be Roman numeral 24 and what does it mean ?
Anyone have any ideas ?
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• Marked projectile 1.jpg
    Marked projectile 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Marked projectile 2.jpg
    Marked projectile 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Marked projectile 3.jpg
    Marked projectile 3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Marked projectile 4.jpg
    Marked projectile 4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 30
Looks like a 30mm aden practice round thats been repainted black,There are no headstamps instead the cartridges are stamped in the location shown on the attatched photo

Attachments

• Marked projectile 1.jpg
    Marked projectile 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28
Many thanks Spotter,
I'd not noticed that, now I can update yet another example from the collection !
Cheers,
Guy.

Hello again,
Thanks for that thread, in it I found a very useful piece from Tony E which explained what all the markings stand for.
Strangely, on my case the date of loading on the top band is 1979, but the date on the ejector groove is 1978. I've double checked this and these dates are definately different. Any idea why this should be ?
Cheers,
Guy.

Attachments

• Aden 78.jpg
    Aden 78.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Aden 79.jpg
    Aden 79.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13
30mm Aden

Quite simply the case was made at RG in 1978 for stock, but did not go to Chorley for loading until 1979. In theory it could be that the case was made on the 31st December 1978 and loaded on say 3rd January 1979 a few days later. There is nothing unusual about the two dates, there has to be a breakpoint somewhere.

Regards
TonyE

PS A minor point, but it is the extractor groove, not the ejector groove.

Thanks for explaining that Tony.
I will amend my catalogue entry immediatly.
After all these years of shooting I should have noticed my mistake re; ejector and extractor !
Hope you have a good Christmas and new year.
Best regards,
Guy.

Christmas

Thanks, and the same to you.

Of course, the Season's Greetings go out to all the members of this great forum.

Happy Christmas everybody.

TonyE

Hi Navyman and another nice item for your collection !

The date you give for the projectile tells me it would be Painted "Deep Sax Blue" and would contain an Aluminium "Dumbell" as part of the nosecap.

You may well be able to remove the nosecap as it appears that it is not "staked in" as is fairly normal for RG produced rounds.

Below is the correct colour excepting the nose which should be bright Alloy as per yours.

Attachments

• 30 mm ADEN Prac DSB.JPG
    30 mm ADEN Prac DSB.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
Regarding ejector marks on 30 mm Aden cases - often the ejection is quite savage and a linear edged dent is made on the base of the case. I will post a photo of one of mine when I can find it.

30mm Proj.

Of course, that may not be the correct projectile for that Practice case, or the case may have been used for convenience. Also, the "XXIV" filed on the side might suggest the proj. was part of a firing trial, especially as it seems to have been fired into some sort of recovery medium. It seems a little crude to mark a proj. in this way but I have seen worse.

I have had inert HE trial projs in the past that were painted black, so it may not be a practice round in the true sense of the word.

(Thank goodness I don't collect big stuff any more!)

Regards
TonyE

Hello,
Thank you for all the information. I've found a part sectioned round, (right hand side of picture), is the alloy core, (painted yellow), the type that would be in a practice round? It looks as though I will have to do some re-painting!
Cheers,
Guy.

Attachments

• Sections 3.jpg
    Sections 3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Sections 4.jpg
    Sections 4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Sections 5.jpg
    Sections 5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
Core

Yes, that is the dumb bell shaped practice core referred to in a previous post.

Regards
TonyE

Ejection marks as promised. Note that one of the primers seems to have blown out on firing.

Attachments

• CNV00101.jpg
    CNV00101.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13