What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x173 Oerlikon KCA

cornman

Hi,
can someone provide me pictures or drawings from the 30x173 Oerlikon KCA round, especialy from the projectiles being used for these rounds?
I have no info at all, so everything is very welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Cornman

Thank a lot for your replies!
Only question what`s left for me is; what shape does a TP projectile have?
Is it the shape of the left (aluminum replica) projectile or the right (looks a lot like a KCB projectile but has the KCA double crimp grooves)??
Maybe somebody can post a picture of a KCA projectile/round from their own collection?
Hope somebody can help me with that!

Kind regards, Cornman

Attachments

• DSC00303.JPG
    DSC00303.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
KCA Projectile/case info

Hi Cornman sadly I only have a photo of the empty case for what I believe is the Oerlikon 30 mm KCA aircraft gun, however I can confirm that your projectile is the correct profile as I once had a drill round that had the same profile.

Attachments

• 30mm KCA case.JPG
    30mm KCA case.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 30mm KCA base a.JPG
    30mm KCA base a.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi Rick,
thanks for the pic, but these are GAU-8 and GAU-9.
They look familiar anyway!, are these now yours or do they have to go to The Netherlands in the future?

Regards, Cornman

Thanks a lot Chris, that indeed confirmes a bit what I thought what would be the right projectile shape.
If still somebody has pictures of these rounds in their collection I would be interested to see them!

Cheers, Cornman

The one in the middle of this pic (from the Ammo Photo Gallery on my site) is the KCA drill round. It has a spire point with a fllat meplat.

30-2.jpg

Thank a lot for your replies!
Only question what`s left for me is; what shape does a TP projectile have?
Is it the shape of the left (aluminum replica) projectile or the right (looks a lot like a KCB projectile but has the KCA double crimp grooves)??
Maybe somebody can post a picture of a KCA projectile/round from their own collection?
Hope somebody can help me with that!

Kind regards, Cornman

Hi Cornman,

I know this is an old thread, but these are pictures from the projectile i received yesterday.
It is a KCA projo (got it from a german friend), but i think the markings ( a 'U' and a 'T' ) are not original.

Attachments

• headstamp.jpg
    headstamp.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
  • patroon1.jpg
    patroon1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 24
  • head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 27
Orpheus I do not wish to rain on your parade but are you sure they are KCA rounds ?
The reason for asking is that the KCA's I have seen were all Electrically initiated and had the tell tale "double crimp" on the case and projectiles.
The case you show is "Percussion" fired and the two projectiles have the Oerlikon single crimp groove of the modern design.????????
Please feel free to tell me I am wrong as I am not up to speed with relatively new munition items.

Chis,

For as far as i know, the KCA has a single crimp (see also the decription on post #11 on top of this page ).
I do not know if they were made with electrical and/or percussion primer, but the guy who gave me the round told me it was a KCA.

Orpheus,
could the case be a MK-44 and the projectile a Rarden?

Regards, Cornman

Everything is possible, i'm far from an expert on these things. I only know what that guy told me.
I did some searching on the case (on Tony's pages), and indeed the percussion primer is not for a KCA. So it can (will) be a MK44

Tony, it's defenitely a percussion primer on the case, not an electric

I would definately go for a Rarden TP-T projectile and a MK44 or Mk30 ( I don`t know is the MK30 uses alloy or steel casings?) case.
Projectile looks repainted. Nice casing anyway.

Cheers Cornman