What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

32 pounder cannon ball

32 PDR

I recently bought a 32 pounder cannon ball from a friend of mine who found it near a War of 1812 Battlefield...it appears solid except that it has an 1.25 inch hole in the top which appears to be filled in with metal...there are no other holes and no fuse..has anyone else seen this before? I have posted a web site that shows a 24pdr with the same marking although mine does not have the 2nd smaller hole. Although the hole looks like there is a marking there isn't its only pitting.

http://www.goldiproductions.com/angloboerwarmuseum/Boer9d_relics_shells.html

I have also included 2 pics of my shell for comparison below...have any of you seen this before?

Attachments

• BRIT SHIP 011.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 011.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 68
  • BRIT SHIP 012.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 012.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Can you tell me in what area this was found? ( it may help ID it)
I have a good size collection of French and British Cannonballs and a couple have a round dimple from where it was poured into the mold..but nothing as round as the one on yours.

As far as I know, the 32 pounder was only used in fortifcations and on ships..never as field artillery in North America

Have you weighed the ball? And what is the dia?

Dean

I recently bought a 32 pounder cannon ball from a friend of mine who found it near a War of 1812 Battlefield...it appears solid except that it has an 1.25 inch hole in the top which appears to be filled in with metal...there are no other holes and no fuse..has anyone else seen this before? I have posted a web site that shows a 24pdr with the same marking although mine does not have the 2nd smaller hole. Although the hole looks like there is a marking there isn't its only pitting.

I have also included 2 pics of my shell for comparison below...have any of you seen this before?

hello 32pounder
nice cannon ball! huge.
nice of you to join bocn,maybe some details about your self?
like what do you like collecting ......ect....
how about introducing yourself.
I'm sure some of the guys and gals on here will help you out.

regards

it looks like a mould mark to me. I had one some time ago with a mark much the same. I still have a few cannonballs, I may post them at some time.

Found another one

First off the ball I have was found in the water near a FORT where there were NAVAL engagments with the Fort as well as between Ships..from the 1812 and rev war period and French 1759 period...Again the example below which is similar to mine was found in the ST Lawrence River...again French/British 1812 period and before, I spoke to the guy today who owns it and he has said he doesn't really know if his is solid or hollow...I suspect its solid...many forts and naval engagements in the area.....I think maybe someone drilled the smaller hole in it to see if its hollow...the ball I have came from a diver who is a very reliable source.

Last edited:
Weight and Size

It's approximately 6 and a quarter inches and weighs 32 pounds...I have not used a digital scale but it weighs exactly 32 Pounds on a regular scale. I suspected it was from the fort or ships in the area...also the fort was under seige a few times.

Last edited:
It is that size as you mentioned..and it weighs 32lbs..then it must be solid...if it was shrapnal or a shell it would be lighter.
I am thiinking the mark is just a casting mark.

Can you see a seam around the center of the ball?

Also, look VERY carefully for a Broad Arrow...it is likely there isn't one..but if there is, it is very rare and older than the War of 1812..with the Broad Arrow it would date Rev War or a bit earlier.

Very nice find..I don't have that size myself..but I do have one that is 40 lbs plus!!...mine run from a 1 pounder to the 48.....just missing the 32.

Dean

Just a thought..I forgot this....some early French Cannonballs had the name of the town they were made in, cast into the ball...this was for larger balls are well as mortars....some weighing up to 440 lbs..this was done as each town had to pay an annual tax to the King..so many towns would pay in Ordnance instead of money...I have seen several recovered French Mortar rounds that were sold to the Americans during the Rev War with these markings.

Dean

Spru mark/marking

Here are close-up pics of the spru/markings...any thoughts?

Attachments

• BRIT SHIP 016.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 016.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 9
  • BRIT SHIP 018.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 018.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BRIT SHIP 020.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 020.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 11