What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35 X 172 experimental.

SG500

Premium Member
Attached is a photograph of a 35 X 172 round.
The case is clearly marked 35mm.
I'm not absolutely sure if the projectile is real, its not got any markings on it but is 35mm with a plastic band.
Looks like a necked up 30 X 172.
Has anyone got any further information on this?
Dave.

Attachments

• 13 September 09 030.jpg
    13 September 09 030.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 92
Looks like this one from my collection:
MCRel6.jpg

I don't know its history, but I suspect it's for an aircraft gun, possibly American. The cartridge should be quite a useful performer; I estimate a muzzle energy of 230-240,000 joules, enough to propel the standard 550g shell at 915-935 m/s.

Thanks Tony.
Is that the standard (if there is such a thing but you know what I mean) 35mm Oerlikon projectile or has it got its own type? The projectile looks very similar to the one next to it.
Dave.

Dave,

I'm thinking that your case might have started out as a 50mm, and got headstamped in the dies that formed it as such. It was pulled from production as a small lot to make the 50mm cases, and never got to the necking down part of the production line that would have taken it down to 35mm. The die that formed the head of the case might have had the stamp that lettered it as 35mm.

Thanks Tony.
Is that the standard (if there is such a thing but you know what I mean) 35mm Oerlikon projectile or has it got its own type? The projectile looks very similar to the one next to it.
Dave.
Yes, it's the standard projectile. It's loose in the case but but I bought the two together many years ago, and both are in factory mint condition so I'd guess they probably belong. It would seem reasonable for them to - why else neck the case out to 35mm if not to use existing 35mm projectiles?