What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35mm Projectile

Spaceinvader

Hello all,
Got this great piece along with some others from member Earni74 (Thanks again Mick). So as far as I know this is some type of 35mm projectile. I've been told HEI and HEIT. So assuming it is, or really either way, what do I need to complete this projectile? I have a casing coming so would be nice to get a complete round together. I also got a 35mm tracer unit in the same purchase if that is a needed part. Thanks very much for any info!
Rhys

Attachments

• 35mm projo1.jpg
    35mm projo1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 122
  • 35mm projo2.jpg
    35mm projo2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 35mm projo3.jpg
    35mm projo3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 35mm projo4.jpg
    35mm projo4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 71
Well after a bit of research ive found I am missing 3 main pieces. Also I am holding the projectile upside down. A smaller (different type) tracer unit than I have now, some type of fuze, and a large windscreen. I would assume this is some type of HEIT or the like. So the question now is, anyone got spares? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I can live without a fuze, but would certainly like atleast the windscreen to make it look complete. Thanks very much!

Looks like it could be some sort of APDS-T or maybe API-T ?,with the windscreen screwing onto the body. Not usual construction for HE types.

Bob

I'm sorry to say, but what you have appears to be the bottom part of a projectile that has only been partially finished. It might have been pulled from the trash as the machine was being set up. The rotating band is grossly oversize and appears that it would be machined down to size in some later operation. The multi-diameter bore down from the top is crude at best. Normally, it would be one diameter for a penetrator to be press-fit into, and then a plastic sabot assembly would be attached over the penetrator.

If it was an HE/HEI projectile the body would not be aluminum.

Your time would best be spent looking for a projectile completed to finish diameter and the possibility of obtaining parts. APDS rounds and projectiles are obtainable.

Well thank you very much Hazord, never would have guessed that. Still happy with it, and interesting piece. So...would anyone happen to have some spare 35mm projectiles?

It is the fuze housing of a 35x228 APHE, see picture.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 35x228 APHE projectile.JPG
    35x228 APHE projectile.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 114
DJH, that's the picture I was looking at and noticed it is the same piece. So I am a little confused, is it an unfinished piece or just the fuze housing?

It's just the bare fuze housing. Not really much I am afraid. But keep it in your spare parts box, as you may never know if you (or another bocn member) may walk into the part. Collecting is also about a bit of luck sometimes.
Regards, DJH

But keep it in your spare parts box, as you may never know if you (or another bocn member) may walk into the part. Collecting is also about a bit of luck sometimes.
Regards, DJH

I'd agree with that, spares boxes are really important things. As soon as you get rid of it someone will show up with the rest of it......so best hang onto it.

Dave.

Okay good to know. And yes I will keep it, would be awesome to at some point (hopefully) have a complete APHE round. Thanks very much for the help gents! Also tell me if you guys come across some parts.
Rhys

good luck with finding the rest of it

Attachments

• 100_3892.jpg
    100_3892.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 73
I have managed to make a fairly nice upper half of the projectile (Thanks for the help tomsk) out of wood dowel. I now need to sand it more, a little bit of filler and paint it. What are the color codes for a APHE projectile? Cant find anything online. Thanks!

I was sent this by a friend after asking about the paint scheme, and this is what he sent me. 35mm SAPHE-T round. Can anyone confirm this is the correct paint? Or is there a different paint scheme? 35mm SAPHE-T.jpg

It looks modern and if so it will depend on the country of origin, assuming it is NATO. Is it KDA,B or what?

If it is UK production it will have base markings and the nearest thing that I would have up to the 1990s would be HE Incendiary but slightly different colours.
Dutch markings are similar but they have stencilling on the projectile.
There is a link somewhere to a Tony Williams site showing some modern 20 - 40mm rounds.

I cannot tell who the original producer was, the only original piece I had was the fuze housing, and there is no markings on it. I think this is a fairly modern piece. I have looked on Tony Williams site and have not found any examples of SAPHEI-T rounds.