What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37" Gun!!

johnbaz

Hi all

Some years ago I bought three shells from a bootsale that only opens on Bank holidays!, I paid a tenner for all three, This was around 15 years ago but I still feel that I got a bargain!!

This was the largest, It says 37" GUN on the base but when I googled images to see what an actual 37" gun was, It returned all sorts except the correct one!, 3.7", 37mm etc..

The shell..

lc2z8Qb.jpg

jujE1ue.jpg

For a sizecomparison, There's a 30mm cartridge/shell with it here..

dZaB9HC.jpg

Does anyone have a link to what a 37" gun looks like and what the 37" actually means??

I'll dig the others out and take pics tomorrow..

Chjeers, John :)

Hmmmm! Is that a minute decimal point between the 3 and 7?? It may be a 3.7" shell after all!!, I've never looked as close at it!! :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

John :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I've done a bit of digging, It's a 3.7" Shell that's been cut down :( It should be 26.75" rather than 21.5", It's been cut down below the shoulder :p

John..

It may be a tampion case, the Handbook just specifies using a cut down case for this, though they should be stamped 'tampion' and are usually shorter. These were used to plug the chamber when washing the bore.

Probably just a vase!