What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37 X 145 steel case.

SG500

Premium Member
I'm just after confirmation on this one.

I've seen plenty of 37 X 145 Cobra cases in brass.........but this one is steel.
No headstamp but there's been plenty of stencling on the base. Difficult to make out but can see:
MARK III A2/??

Is this right? Did they use steel cases much in the Cobra?

Did they use the usual loading?

Dave.

Attachments

• Steel Cobra 37 X 145 case 001.jpg
    Steel Cobra 37 X 145 case 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Steel Cobra 37 X 145 case 002.jpg
    Steel Cobra 37 X 145 case 002.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks John.
Do the steel cases take the same types of projectile?
Dave.

Yes they do

Have a look at my album one is shown with the original projectile , practice with an orange M56 fuze. These steel cases were not for overseas use, I believe they expected a brass shortage in 1943 as all of the steel cases seem to be made that year, but it was back to brass in 44. I do wonder about steel 105mm Howitzer cases being limited to North America though. I have not seen a 1944 37x92 U.S. case how ever.

how far down are the crimps on your case ?

Thanks Gordon that's great.
The case doesn't have any crimps - don't think its ever been loaded - the inside is certainly very clean.
Dave.

I have a dummy round with a steel case. It is loaded with a TP projectile, braced by a wooden filling piece (visible through a hole in the case side). See pic below:

34-37.jpg

Check it with a magnet

I have one like that and it's actually brass with some kind of plating !

Well, I'll be....I've just checked mine with a magnet, and you're right - it isn't magnetic! It looked so much like steel that for all these years I've just assumed that it was :rolleyes: