What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37 x 189mm C.O.W. 1 1/2Pr

kahu1

Premium Member
A recent acquisition ,a tidy 'cow gun' cartridge.
Most of these carts i've seen have had the trench art treatment ,usually in the form of multiple grooves around the case.
This one has a copper disc in place of the primer,but that pops out easily and i'm sure i can find the correct primer somewhere...

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 52
The primer should be fairly common. Find a cut down WW1 2 Pounder case. It is the same primer.

Hi Bob,
Nice case, and as Falcon has mentioned you will nees to find a primer from a WW1 dated 2pr naval case.
My COW gun case came with a primer marked broad arrow No 5.1. /17 V.S.M A. Finding one should not be too hard as i am sure there must be a member on here with a spare. You may have a harder time trying to get a projectile for it though.
Best regards Weasel.

I have a COW gun cartridge with no head stamp, just a mark from the ejector. Could it be a trials round or something else. I picked it up in Coventry in the late '70s.
Cheers
Hangarman

Thanks guys,

I've tried a 2pr primer,that fits fine,minus the tube, so just need to get one with an early date,mine are all 1943!

Does anyone have good pics,or drawings of the projectile(s) so i can get my friendly machinist to turn one up?

cheers,
Bob