What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm can anyone identify this case

303hans

I have an 37-85 mm case headstamped PDTe 381 4.18. Overstamped F45 and a different primer CF 36.
PDTe =?????
F45=????
fuse CF (Cartoucherie Francaise) 36, What kind of primer is this ??
Thanks and regards Hans

Attachments

• PDTe 37-85 2.jpg
    PDTe 37-85 2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 111
First this is a rare case, made by Prichard Denys, but not in Paris, but at a subsidiary T , Toulon ? I have to ask as I cannot find my reference, but these are very uncommon, you have only the secound I have seen. The case has been reprimed with an updated primer to bring it up to standard in the late 30s. With the advent of tanks and motor vehicles 37mm rounds were subject to vibration and so on, this caused problems within the case and misfires and premature explosions with the older priming method. Stronger improved primers solved this and new cases were made and old ones modified. I would use this case with a late 1930s type of 37mm ammunition, Magnesium AP, late dated Mle 1888 or Mle 1916 dated late 30s Shot and Mle 1918 HE Gaba Fuzed which are late 1930s.

Maybe it's Toulouse --- damn I'm getting old.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 4.jpg
    IMG_0001 4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Although I admit PD Te is much less common then PD Ps, I have had and seen several. The fact it is possibly dated in WW2 makes it more interesting in my opinion.

It's Toulouse, yes they should be out there, numerous thousands made no doubt. Easily over looked also.

Hi,

F = fortified fuse
shell was re-used in 1945

See attached pictures

Attachments

• 363a3.jpg
    363a3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 363a2.jpg
    363a2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 35