What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Cartridge help please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Had a cartridge given to me today ,a 37 mm by the American Armament corp. it looks like its cut down , part of the stampings say S.A GUN...can anyone tell me what the S>A GUN is and does anyone have a picture of one..
thanks for looking
allan

Attachments

• P1070010.jpg
    P1070010.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 91
  • P1070012.jpg
    P1070012.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi Allan not one of those cartridges that start aeroplane engines.

Its a 37 x 202 SA gun round that's been cut down.
Complete rounds are rare on this side of the pond.
Dave.

American Armament was trying to do business in the 1920-1930 's. they had AT and AA guns which they sold to a few foreign countries.Since they were active outside of my usual time frame(pre 1920), I have not paid too much attention to them except when one of their projectiles turns up in a official US case.Based on the photo, I would say the case has been cut down, as the cases I have seen are larger than the Hotchkiss 94R. Hope this helps some.

The SA-gun was used even after 1940 in the Dutch Indies, mainly on PT boats. Cases are difficult to find, as stated before this one is cut down.