What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm confusion!

navyman

Hello all,
I've managed to get myself confused again, (not unusual), and can't find the relevant thread to sort these 37mms out. I have received two cases today, (Thanks Gordon), but can't remember which case suits which projectile.
I've labeled the cases and projectiles and am hoping that someone will help me match them, there are five?
Headstamps, reading clockwise,
case 1;
Crown over M, (navy)? over C/97.98, 1904 over crab like mark, (date)?
Karlsruhe over 117, III over crab. (Karlsruhe munition factory in Germany)?

case 2;
K 15 1918 119A Sp255 JUNI.
Primer; kp 4 18.

case 3;
Crown over M over C/97 98, 1903 over crab, IX, and five centre punch marks, (reloads)?

case 4;
No headstamps, 10 centre punch marks.

case 5;
No stamps.

Projectiles;
proj A;
No marks, screw off base plug, single wide drive band, solid nose plug, (transit)?

proj B;
Solid base stamped V, (Vickers)?, impact fuze stamped H on side, two drive bands.

proj C;
Solid base stamped VSM over S> (Vickers sons and Maxim)?
Impact fuze, K on side, VSM on nose. two drive bands.

proj D;
No nose fuze, No marks, alloy base plug with hole in centre, (tracer)?, single narrow drive band.

proj E;
Similar to proj D, has traces of alloy inside.

Attachments

• 37mm cases 1a.jpg
    37mm cases 1a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 37mm headstamp 1a.jpg
    37mm headstamp 1a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 37mm proj 1a.jpg
    37mm proj 1a.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 67
  • D E 1a.JPG
    D E 1a.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 44
I have marked what goes to what

The projectile D & E are tracers. They go into the cases so that the crimp indents match the groove in the projectile, leaving about 1/4" between the top of the case and the rotating band.

Attachments

• WhatFitsWhat.jpg
    WhatFitsWhat.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 35