What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm French 1 pdr

Burney Davis

Premium Member
The pictures below show two examples of the model 1885 37mm French one pounder projectiles used in the aircraft gun. Each comes with a 20/25 percussion fuze. One has the rough base, whereas the other base has been ground flat and stamped. There is also a third model which has a base tracer.

There is documentary evidence that the flat based and base tracer models were used with the 37 x 94 case, but what about the rough based projectile? Were these used in any other case, the model 1902 for instance?

Comments appreciated.

D

mdle852.jpgmdle85.jpgmdle851.jpg

These were used in the 37x95 case, not the 37x202. These projectiles were made with smooth bases (prewar & postwar quality) into 1915 as both smooth & lumpy bases exist in that year. Smooth based projectiles have markings on the base. Not different models, just different levels of quality. The tracer fitted rounds have a screw in adaptor though there apparently is a version with out adaptor. It might be that the cast iron body needed a steel re-enforcement as both fuze & tracer have enough space. These were used for ground based AA use ( one would think with a tracer) and with and without tracer for arial use. These are a form of early sensitive fuze perhaps thought of with balloons in mind. I suspect that the heavy brass nose was unsafe with the more powerful 37x202 case (twice the MV) as the version used in those did not have the protruding large tip.

Is the fuze in the smooth based projectile dated earlier than the other one ?

Last edited:
I know of 6 of these, so not the rarest, but I am still looking for one for some time ! Case wise I would try for a 1914 dated case as these seem to be dated early in the war. Oddly the of the 6 remaining French types I wish to find to complete the collection three are based on the most common one ~
Mle 1888 common shell with No 6 fuze (as in this post)
Mle 1888 common shell with No 3 fuze
Mle 1889 common shell with Extra Sensitive fuze
Puteaux canister for training/practice 8 vertical slots
1916 D shell HE base fuzed & separate steel nose
1916 D shell with double action PD fuze

Not much to ask and Christmas is coming !

Hello
This is a photo of the Schneider 3 Bis with base traceur.
Best regards
Andre
1c fusee schneider No 3 bis (2).jpg1e coupe traceur_3 bis.jpg1c fusee schneider No 3 bis (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator: