What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Pom Pom but what type?

Quatermass

Can any of you experts identify this projectile and fuze?

BOCN37mmPomPom2.jpg

BOCN37mmPomPom3.jpg

BOCN37mmPomPom1.jpg

Any information would be greatfully received.

Christ almighty ~~~~~~~~~

This is a circa 1875 French Army trial projectile for the Hotchkiss Revolving gun. They ended up adopting the 40mm size instead. The Hotchkiss itself did not use these lead bands. Now to try and read the name on the bottom, Puteaux is the likely candidate. This is a superb example, I will look into this and give a more detailed answer if I can. A coiled case of the period is a bastard to find however! So naturally you won't really want to keep it and flog it to me !

Last edited:
The name on the base is really unclear but I can read PX as the last two letters. The first two letters appear to be a combined AR.

That is Puteaux

These all seem to be fired plugged, which is what is in yours. My fired example is in the album section of me, only remains of a plug were in it and bits of clay stuck to it.

37 mm French

I can probably help you in this identification.
The model seems to be a 37 mm Mle 1877/1881, but the rotating band must be in brass wire. If the rotating band is in lead, it's an older unknown model.
The fuze is a type Desmarets fuze.

Hotchkiss

The lead banded projectile is not a Hotchkiss type. But a French army trial projectile. The first Hotchkiss projectiles had a spiral machined groove band stating around 1874. Several years later they adopted the smooth band which is considered the 1877 model. I will add to this later.

Hotchkiss Basic overview -

This is basically it. I have images of the 1874 types, but they are not mine and I cannot post without permission.

Attachments

• HotchkissOverview.jpg
    HotchkissOverview.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 44
  • nov 14 1876 pat1.jpg
    nov 14 1876 pat1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 32
  • nov 14 1876 pat2.jpg
    nov 14 1876 pat2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
  • nov 14 1876 pat3.jpg
    nov 14 1876 pat3.jpg