What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Projectile

orcutteod

I was hoping I could get some info on this 37mm projectile interesting someone had it chromed.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 120
Looks good, get the chrome or hopefully nickle plating off. Try muratic acid, if it's nickle that might shift it.

Looks good, get the chrome or hopefully nickle plating off. Try muratic acid, if it's nickle that might shift it.

I have used this acid before to remove chrome and it's a nasty process it reminds me of a Frankenstein movie once you dip it in the acid it will start bubbling and turn green with all kinds of smoke this volatile mixture will eat a hole in concrete but if you use proper PPE it's safe. I'm worried it will eat the copper bands but I'm not sure whether or not it will effect copper.

I would not leave it in very long, perhaps try wiping it on with coarse steel wool first. If it is going to affect the plating you should see some results quickly. Use a plastic basin and sort of roll it around in it and keep a basin of clean water with a drop of soap in it. Baking powder neutralizes it. You will have to dry it very well after rinsing and oil it. and or wash it. The clean surface will form rust.

A ordnance friend of mine told this projectile has a super sensitive fuse meant for thin skin aircraft of the era and it's rare. If so it makes me feel good knowing I paid very little for it in a bundle deal with a Jap 81mm mortar.

They are uncommon but they do show up from time to time. The fuze does look to be the sensitive type, fabric sensitive.
Here is an over view of the types of fuzes used on these.

Attachments

• D Shells Pg 2  Mar 11,2014.jpg
    D Shells Pg 2 Mar 11,2014.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 64
If it was originally Black. Why not just paint it or get the correct color scheme and paint it accordingly. I assume after an acid bath it won't have any original color left except bare metal anyway.

These were a mustard yellow colour as they had an HE filling, Picric Acid = Melonite (British called it Lydite).