What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Russian round But What Type?

Darren

I am looking for more info on this 37mm Russian round, is it an AP round?

Attachments

• Russian 37mm Cannon Round-1.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Russian 37mm Cannon Round-2.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 45
  • Russian 37mm Cannon Round-3.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Russian 37mm Cannon Round-4.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Russian 37mm Cannon Round-5.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Russian 37mm Cannon Round-6.jpg
    Russian 37mm Cannon Round-6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 38
Hello,

I think its more the 37mm AP-T BZT (see pictures)
Markings on the cap or measurements could confirm it.

Regards

S.
RU_PRO_37AP-T-BZT.jpgRU_PRO_37AP-T-BZTbis.jpg

BR-167 is the designation of the AP-T projectile itself. The same was used in the M1939 AA gun, the NS-37 and N-37 aircraft canons.

Hello again,

Here is what I have about the BR-167 (see pics)

IMHO, this is a different projectile.

Regards,

S.
RU_PRO_37AP-T-BR167.jpgRU_PRO_37AP-T-BR167bis.jpg

Looks like BZT is used only for aircraft cannons,and aircraft cannons cases is shorter(compare cases lenghts and cases bases) and looks like Darren Yugo version case is longer than BZTcase. Looks like BR -167 used with longer cases. In sgdbdr drawing where BR-167 with lot dimensions,under the pictures frame are remarks,where writed about variation exist with two breakof grooves. I am still thinking that is BR-167 version.
I cannot find visual difference,(see link picture) and if we spoke about soviet munition, most believeble source should be soviet manual.
http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/71/uHyVh.jpg

In picture some FFE examples from left to right:
1.Original projectile BZT with ballistic cap and his original case.
2.Projectile OR-167 and his original case. ( projectile case should be very similar to projectile BR-167 case).
3.Original projectile BZT without ballistic cap and his original case and link.
bocn.JPG
Projectiles BZT and BR-167 looks like very similar, except tracer shape. If there are some other differences except markings, case and tracer , I would like to know.

Last edited:
Hello again

Based on the picture below, only the length of your projectile will determine exactly wich one it is.

Regards,

S.

37mm.jpg

Thanks all for the info, unfortunately i no longer have this round in my collection, it was sold some time ago so am unable to measure the projectile.

BR-167 is the designation of the AP-T projectile itself. The same was used in the M1939 AA gun, the NS-37 and N-37 aircraft canons.

What I red, for NS-37 and N-37 used BZT.( Armour piercing Incendiary -Tracer) And tracer is same time incendiary.

Looks like BZT is used only for aircraft cannons,and aircraft cannons cases is shorter(compare cases lenghts and cases bases) and looks like Darren Yugo version case is longer than BZTcase. Looks like BR -167 used with longer cases. In sgdbdr drawing where BR-167 with lot dimensions,under the pictures frame are remarks,where writed about variation exist with two breakof grooves. I am still thinking that is BR-167 version.
I cannot find visual difference,(see link picture) and if we spoke about soviet munition, most believeble source should be soviet manual.
http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/71/uHyVh.jpg

In picture some FFE examples from left to right:
1.Original projectile BZT with ballistic cap and his original case.
2.Projectile OR-167 and his original case. ( projectile case should be very similar to projectile BR-167 case).
3.Original projectile BZT without ballistic cap and his original case and link.
View attachment 107336
Projectiles BZT and BR-167 looks like very similar, except tracer shape. If there are some other differences except markings, case and tracer , I would like to know.

Hello trrrr,

Really not sure but on diagram, no crimp groove for ballistic cap on the BR167.

Regards

37 RUSSIAN.jpg

Yes, in drawing from one side looks like no crimp groove, from other side lookslike something like groove. But there are crimp groove. The drawing painter looks like made some mistake. Maybe after that he spend some time in some camp in Siberia.

37 mm BZT and BR-167 were start produced from 2WW.
For example, these both BZT in picture were from shot down soviet 2ww airplane.