What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm wooden ammo box - help with identification

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
Any help with identification and vintage of this box would be of help. THANKS! Pat

Attachments

• 37mm box1.jpg
    37mm box1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 37mm box3.jpg
    37mm box3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 37mm box4.jpg
    37mm box4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 37mm box5.jpg
    37mm box5.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 37mm box6.jpg
    37mm box6.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 38
This box held 16 of the 37 X 94R rounds, carried in a fabric "belt" from which the rounds were extracted and loaded manually into the 37mm "trench" gun of WWI. The gun was man portable, and "copied" from a French version. There are several good on-line references to the gun, and I'll try to track them down.

I'm trying to figure out what the "strap" riveted to the box bottom was for--obviously to help pull the belted rounds out of the box. My box doesn't have as much of the strap remaining.

The strap

attached to the belt of loops that held the rounds, always cut off it seems.
These go in a special wagon that holds I think 16 of the boxes and the gun is towed behind. Used from ww1 into ww2.

Attachments

• 1916GunBoxjpg.jpg
    1916GunBoxjpg.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
A recent thread on BOCN provided a link to the Hayes Otoupalik site, and in his "want list"--yes, I thought he had everything also!--it shows the same box with the fabric shell holder. My wife has agreed to sew one if I can find measurements.