What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3BK12, 3BK12M and their I-238 Fuze

Eggburt1969

Has anyone ever come across the Russian 125 mm HEAT-FS-T projectiles whose GRAU index codes are 3BK12 (3БК12) and 3BK12M (3БК12М) - the short-form versions of the designation seen stencilled on the projectiles being BK12 (БК12) and BK12M (БК12М) - along with their I-238 (И-238) fuze?

I've got most details on the projectiles, but not their dimensions, especially their overall lengths, along with the various diameters.

For the I-238 fuze, I've got plenty of technical data about how it works, but I've got no dimensions at all. I would be after its max length and diameter, along with its intrusion and protrusion from the projectile.

Here are the dimensions from the И-238 fuze.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_56.jpg
    Zuschneiden_56.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 50
Here is the complete description

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_57.jpg
    Zuschneiden_57.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Zuschneiden_58.jpg
    Zuschneiden_58.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 34
What is the operation of this fuze ?

Yeah. those slides are pretty rubbish to be honest.

I have an early manual covering the ammunition for 125 mm 2A26 and 2A46 series tank guns and its description on the I-238 fuze is pretty extensive. It's overly complex and ultimately still a spit-back fuze, even though it uses an electrical system (set-back generator and storage capacitors) to fire the electrical detonator in the arming shutter. It's no wonder they changed to the V-15 in the 3BK14, and used that type of system in all the later HEAT-FS-T rounds.

Last edited: