What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 inch practice bomb

Infanteer

Finally found a 4.2 inch bomb. Have been looking for quite some time. These seem to be rather rare here in Canada, presumably because of the size. This bomb is still filled with what I assume is the original filling which is like a mixture of tar and sand.

Attachments

• Picture 142a.jpg
    Picture 142a.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 140
Cracking round in original paint,well worth the wait! What are the stamps on the body and fins?Tony.

Markings on body: R 3-2112 NSC FS-S.B 4.2 MOR II
NESCO- 6 - 43 LT 87

Fins: M/C - 8/43 followed by a broad arrow and broad arrow in an oval

A couple that we have hanging around the office;

dscf4408awr6.jpg

Shot with FinePix E550 at 2008-11-04
dscf4410azy6.jpg

dscf4412aeo0.jpg

Any munitions that we recover are treated as suspect chemical rounds, without exception. We have found ordnance with a wide variety of fillings from assorted war chemicals, explosives, tar, water, sand and various ballistic fillers. Infanteer, your bomb, manufactured in 1944 has the body colour and yellow band that was used to designate 4.2" practice bombs on British Pattern Ammunition prior to 1945.

Last edited:
There is the word "SAND" stenciled on the yellow band in black letters. I also have a 2" bomb that is labeled "SAND" that has a solid steel plug in place of the fuse. Obviously practice bombs, but I haven't seen these "SAND" bombs specifically mentioned in any of the pamphlets that I've seen. Why is that?

3 inch SAND

Here is my 3 inch sand projectile. Does anyone has drawings of this projectile.

Regards

DM 53

Attachments

• Geert 004.jpg
    Geert 004.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 56
While I realize that this question was not directed at me, I thought I would share the photos of the storage/transit plug from one of my 3" bombs.

Attachments

• Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here the HE version and it's fuze, the DA 152.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• Back- and cutaway side of Brittish WW2  4,2 inch HE with (fake) incremental charges.JPG
    Back- and cutaway side of Brittish WW2 4,2 inch HE with (fake) incremental charges.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Fuze DA 152.JPG
    Fuze DA 152.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 54