What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2" Mortar Rounds

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Just added 2 additions to the mortar collection ,both repainted the streamlined HE in the middle , is stamped SB 4.2 MOR ,11M 6-43 and no stamp at all on the cylindrical one repainted as a phosphorous smoke .Now the streamlined HE one on the left ive had a while with original paint work ,S.B? 4.2 IN S/L , MOR. 2[AUST]/1 ,103 ,8 in a circle , 7-62 and stamped 4.2" MOR MK III L ,TCR ,1-44 OS I take it to be Australian? and remarked in the 60s with a new tail unit [mine seems to be missing some sort of adaptor?] All items FFE , Any thoughts ,regards Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0478.JPG
    DSCF0478.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF0474.JPG
    DSCF0474.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0481.JPG
    DSCF0481.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 83
Dave,

Unless I'm very much mistaken 'S.B.' = Smooth Bore.

Regards

TimG

Sound correct. I've normally seen the UK versions listed as SBML, smooth bore muzzle loading.

HI Dave,

Very nice 4.2" rounds - these were one of my favourite mortar round and the 4.2" smoke type tops the list!

Yes it is Aussie - and the "SB", well it is clearly seen on my ex-HE one!!!

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Mortar.jpg
    Mortar.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for showing them Dave. Occasionally I find expended 4.2s and wondered if they might be a practice version, as their bodies are normally ripped open, though a couple have been in one piece save for the fuze end of the bomb. Looking at your photo I think those I find are probably phosphorous filled bombs - the shape of the bomb and the tail unit is the same.

Hi Ammo the streamlined ones were all HE ,the ones with the cylinderical bodies came in HE,Chemical ,Smoke ,Practice Bursting ,Practice Inert and Drill ,so you could be finding any of these ,regards Dave

Thanks Dave, those I find are in a WW2 range impact area. XT

Attachments

• CNV00055.jpg
    CNV00055.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: