What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" Gun

Quite a size, 110 x 695R...........110 might be a little out as the cartridge mouth's a little out of form.
Not Naval I guess, never sure if " as against ins is relevant. 4.5" coastal defence gun ?
Brought back from Malta by the old (now) chap who had owned it, or so I was told.

Attachments

• 4.5 inch 1.jpg
    4.5 inch 1.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.5 inch 2.jpg
    4.5 inch 2.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 42
Hello As far as I can workout for the photo it was a early 4 5" fixed round . The SL rounds did not come into service till about 1943/4

Hope this info helps

Steve
EX RNAD Trecwn

I'll stand corrected on this but my understanding is that the 4.5in you have was Land Service AA with a range of shells and also Naval service with a range of shells, some common to both sevices. One would expect Naval cases to have an N stamped on the base but has anyone a fixed 4.5 case with an N?. Dont think the seperate rounds were ever Land service. Might be worth searching 4.5 etc on this forum for more info.