What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" Howitzer Base Plate

Investment

Hello,

Could someone please help identify what the following HR, MO 20, and crows foot within the letter C stand for on this 4.5" Howitzer base plate.

The markings on the outside edge are 4.5", HR, I, 6018 (very small), 2-39, B.E. SMK., M.O. 20

The markings in the centre are a crows foot within the letter C next to another crows foot above the number 62.

Many thanks,

Invest

Attachments

• WW2 Base Plate for Howitzer 4.5 Inch Smoke Projectile (1).jpg
    WW2 Base Plate for Howitzer 4.5 Inch Smoke Projectile (1).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 37
  • WW2 Base Plate for Howitzer 4.5 Inch Smoke Projectile (2).jpg
    WW2 Base Plate for Howitzer 4.5 Inch Smoke Projectile (2).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
4.5"

Cannot identify all of them but the "HR" is simply an abbreviation for Howitzer as in "4.5" Howitzer Mark I".

"B.E. SMK" will be "Base Ejecting Smoke" and the Broad Arrow within "C" is the government mark of Canada. "2-29" will be date of manufacture, February 1939 and I suspect the "6018" is just the Lot number.

Regards
TonyE

MO

I know what you are thinking, "MO" is the code for the Australian arsenal at Maribyrnong, but I do not think that is what it means in this case. (sorry about the pun!)

Regards
TonyE

I only made the Australia connection as the item is in Australia, I missed your bit saying it was made in Canada. Now this changes it. Were any cases made in Canada in the 1930s or 40s?