What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" Howitzer

Bockscar

A picture taken of my 4.5" Howitzer shell...this one was a car boot special and was once the base for a standard lamp!! I always find it amazing what you can find in these places.

Attachments

• shells 054.jpg
    shells 054.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 108
I have one of these that is a lamp that I have in the living room.

Dean

4.5 alive

Beautiful, I would some-day love to find a 4.5 howitzer projectile to go with my case. She's a beaut mate...Dano

4.5" Howitzer markings

I took a shot of the markings on the base of my howitzer shell.....other stampings on the side of the shell read from top to bottom

L
F E

Attachments

• davis gun 011.jpg
    davis gun 011.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 66
strong strike

Nice strong strike on stamp on base of projectile. It's a beautiful shell worthy of a front row spot in ANY collection (especially mine!!)...respectfully, Dano

Falcon,

No worries on the hole in the bottom...its only about a half inch deep - soon sort that out if need be!

Falcon,

No worries on the hole in the bottom...its only about a half inch deep - soon sort that out if need be!

If it's only half inch deep its probably best to leave it there rather than filling it in.

What did you pay for the shell? I've never found anything near that good at a car boot.

I have seen the prices these things go for so it is a bit embarassing to tell you that I got it for a fiver.