What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 Inch Shell Case

PikeyMk2

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 4.5 inch shell case. From the previous owner I was informed it was brought up from a shipwreck down on the South Coast, but beyond that, I can't say I know anything more about it. I've tried searching for the markings but haven't come up with anything so far, besides it being British and a naval fuse. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

The markings are "4.5 140506 RLB9 /85 208". The fuse says "N44 Mk3" "026 85" "BN" "GD 0985 411 AA"

Attachments

• 4 half inch fuse.jpg
    4 half inch fuse.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 4 half inch stamps.jpg
    4 half inch stamps.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Shipwreck? The primer was made in Glascoed, Wales in September 1985. Are there any ships lost since then on the south coast?

Hi...I think you have been had...that case has not come off a wreck....sorry can not help you with what the case is.......its modern.....

Hi Have some info that will help you

1 Its from a 4.5 MK 8 Round

2 It is a fixed Round

3 The Round has been is service with the Royal Navy and other Navy's since the late 70s

4 The case is ejected from the front of turret so some a lost in a heavy sea

5 Its not come off a wreck all fired cases are returned to a armament depot for disposal ( This case was not returned as it still has its primer fitted )

Hope this info helps

Steve

EX RNAD Trecwn and also RFA Supply ships

Nice to see one with a primer, I have two a casesand a complete round, both without primers though. This is my complete roundimage.jpg

Hi hope that I can answer your question on primers

1 Before disposle of case it had to be certified free from explosive. (CFFE)

2 Am sure we remove the primer as it was not allowed to go for scrap fitted And also to see that it had been fired

3 Some cases could be reused eg 3pdr Blank A/S ctgs

Hope this info helps

Steve Ex RNAD Trecwn

PS may be things have changed now as its been over 20 years since the depot closed

Does anyone know what the triple circles stand for on the primer? Interesting stamp I haven't seen before.

Joe

The three circles denote the primer has Unified threads, as opposed to a Whitworth thread form.

The primer was made at ROF Blackburn and filled at ROF Glascoed.

TimG

Hi hope that I can answer your question on primers

1 Before disposle of case it had to be certified free from explosive. (CFFE)

2 Am sure we remove the primer as it was not allowed to go for scrap fitted And also to see that it had been fired

3 Some cases could be reused eg 3pdr Blank A/S ctgs

Hope this info helps

Steve Ex RNAD Trecwn

PS may be things have changed now as its been over 20 years since the depot closed

Steve,

Empty cases returned from ships are now checked to ensure that the primer has been fired and the cases are clear and then marked up as CFFE. Primers are now left in the case for disposal. I have a few old primers with scorch marks and a bit blackened after a visit to the burning grounds as you can see some survived better than others. The burning grounds are no longer used because of the environmental concerns from open burning.

Web primers 002.jpgWeb primers 003.jpgWeb primers 004.jpgWeb primers 005.jpgWeb primers 006.jpg

Richard