What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7 inch shell

leeski

hi all i have a british ww1 4.7 inch shell i have started to restore it and wondered if anyone has any pictures or colour codes so i can paint it

many thanx leeski

hello Leeski ,what type of 4.7 is it ??
This attatched image for quick viewing is from the Treatise on ammunition 1915

Attachments

• 1ammo1915236a.jpg
    1ammo1915236a.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 48
hi spotter i think its a he costal shell of some sort can post a picture if it will help

many thanx leeski

Yes please stick a picture on ,i dont think i have nything other than whats in the 1915 manual myself but it may help others to help you with this...allan

4.7 inch

heres a pic of the 4.7 i have its 17 inches high

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 57
looks to be a no80 or similar powder train fuze ,The round is it 2 part construction as looks it in the photo
if it is im thinking shrapnel or other carrier projectile

hi jayteepee thats the orginal fuse the hole top half of the shell comes off there is slight traces of lead around where the join is
sorry but whats MT mean

regards leeski

Hiya, the only drawing I have for the 4.7" shell is this one from 1934, not sure if any help or not. Tony.

Attachments

• P0149.jpg
    P0149.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 35
Shrapnel ?

Hi Lee that looks like a "Shrapnel" shell to me with the detachable nose section ?

Jayteepee is concerned that it might not be empty="MT" -but I think you answered that by the fact that the "top comes off" in one of your posts.

Nice item, should look good when you have finished it !

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

60lbs

Hi
this shell is an 60Pdr Shrapnel from WWI
fuse T& P N82, 83 or 88
Boby painted black
One red ring near the nose shell