What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7inch BE Identification???

ABaird

Ordnance approved
Looking for assistance on this 4.7" base ejection projo. The fuze is broken off and a Brass base plug is installed. We're thinking star shell but haven't ruled out liquid filled.

Case length w/o fuze =15.75"
Length w'/ adapter ring =17"
Driving band =1" wide
Base to band =1.11"
Base dia. =3.83"
Base plate dia.=3.5"
Brass base plate plug=0.79"
Brass plug markings "IESS NP_"(followed with an arrow pointing up)

Any assistence and/or a publication would be appreciated.
ABaird

Attachments

• 4.7inch_Projo(1).JPG
    4.7inch_Projo(1).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 4.7inch_Projo(2).JPG
    4.7inch_Projo(2).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.7inch_Projo(3).JPG
    4.7inch_Projo(3).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 76
4.5 inch

Hi ABaird, take care, I found in my doc's a shell Q.F. 4.7 inch with base plate AND HE filling !
Different models possible, length various between 350mm to 445mm. But I've never found a base plug !?

4.7inch

Hey Yodamaster,

The brass plug is a concern, also the base plate not being pinned puts it outside our pubs library. I'd appreciate anything you may stumble across. Thanks.

Hallo

It is an 4.7in Q.F. Mk VI NT. The brass plug is a plug for an internal night tracer. The shell is filled with 6 Lbs 5 Oz lyddite and the official length is 15.81 in. In attachment you see the diagram of the driving band. It is the same of a 60 Pr BL.

Regards

Digimax

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 37