What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 inch plastic cased blank

Spaceinvader

I have heard or plastic cased 223. but never 4 inch blanks! I found this a military surplus place, and at first though it was a piece of PVC tubing, then realized it was a casing. I have never seen something like this before, and the strangest part, its made by Samsonite! Its made of heavy duty PVC or plastic, and a short metal primer. on the side it reads "BLANK C10 10 OZ MIL-P223 ANC93E01P01" (Ink stamp).On tha base it reads "SCI-92F02-01" (ink stamp) and then stamped into the plastic it reads "4 INCH BLANK C-10 SAMSONITE" with the little Samsonite logo. On the primer it reads "C-17 CA-91H06-01". I would really appreciate it if anyone knew what this is used form, and why its made of plastic. Interesting piece for 30$!
RhysDSCN1770[1].jpgDSCN1771[1].jpgDSCN1772[1].jpgDSCN1773[1].jpgDSCN1778[1].jpg

We have similar Blank rounds here in NZ, for the 25pr saluting guns.
The cases are locally manufactured of polypropelene and are reloadable,the primer is easy to unscrew,tghe case mouth is closed with a green plastic internal cap.
I think the reasoning for plastic was the mould was cheaper to make than getting brass cases made.
They generally stand up well(the pressures of blank firing being much less than cartridge rounds) and can be reloaded multiple times.

Bob

I have just bought a couple of Aluminium cased 25pr carts used for saluting. Will post a picture later.
Cheers
Gary

Interesting. Anyone know where it's from? I'm thinking Canada, and what would it be used on? Also this primer doesn't seem to want to come out. Any ways to get it out?

The local ones the primer is easy to get out,just unscrew.
You could try hot/cold water on the case/primer,might enlarge/shrink just enough to loosen.