What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mm Bofors Round and Cut-a-way

GregN

Hi all, here is more of my fathers flea market hoard of sectioned fuzes. I think this is a 40 mm Bofor round. Maybe someone can tell me what type of fuze it is.

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• bofor3.jpg
    bofor3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 115
  • bofor2.jpg
    bofor2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 64
bofors fuze

Think its a No.255 as the 259 has a two piece body and yours is 3 piece, both could be used on 40mm L60 HE rounds. It is a direct impact fuze so the shell has to hit the target to function. 2pr

Bofors fuze

Greg, I think this is an earlier WW2 era No. 251 fuze of Canadian manufacture ("/C"). These were Direct Action fuzes used by all the Commonwealth countries virtually throughout WW2 on Bofors L60 ordnance for Light Anti Aircraft (LAA) use. The US used different fuzes on their 40mm rounds. I have an identical fuze (mint, not sectioned) and the full markings on mine are: No. 251-1 CA/C 1941. Regards, Graeme