What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors Break up projectile

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Prior to being offered this, I’d not heard of 40mm Bofors break-up projectiles (I’m not really into ammo). It caught my eye as it looked a lot like a 40mm rubber bullet. After doing a little research on them, I think they’re a very interesting piece of history.

My understanding is that they are made of Bakelite and are filled will lead shot, so that they weigh the same as HE projectiles. This means that the same recoil is generated when they are fired as would be by a standard HE projectile, enabling the bofors gun to operate as normal. Once the projectile leaves the barrel it breaks-up and the danger zone is localized, much like with a shot gun.

From all accounts seagulls did not fare very well from coastal batteries training with these rounds:xd:.

I look forward to hearing additional information. Cheers

Attachments

• 1 bof.jpg
    1 bof.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice one Fragman,

A few of these around with cut off bases or empty..apparently a great source of lead shot for the shotshell reloaders, back in the days when you were allowed to use it!

cheers
Bob

i have two of these both empty, always wondered what went inside. thanks Fragman, now i know.