What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors cartridges

Vasco Da Gama

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Pictured are 3 different 40mm Bofors gun cases. The first is a US Army M25 case, lot 157,FA, ( Frankford Arsenal?) 1943 fitted with a M81-A1-PA APC projectile GL-1-73-45

The second is a dark steel, probably USN case, 40mm MK2 Mod 0, NTV 55

The third is an Italian made case probably for Yugoslavia. Base marked 40mm MK2 Mod 1, SMI Lot 25 6-55. I understand that this case was made by Societas Metallurgical Italiana. The mixture of Cyrillic and Latin script in the paint markings is interesting. The case also has more of a Russian look to the brass used.

The Italian case (odd to see in Yugoslavia) was reloaded there, hence the primer and side markings. I wonder if they obtained cases only or if they bought complete cartridges. If so I wonder about the markings the rounds had back then.

The dark steel casing is indeed a US one, and was made by Norris Industries INC., CA, USA.