What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40MM Bofors case lacking headstamp?

hicky1300

Hi All
Got given a 40mm Bofors case by a colleague yesterday.
At the risk of sounding ungrateful I wasnt expecting much until I saw it had no headstamp?
Usual US M38A1 struck primer dated 1943 fitted - but no headstamp

Never seen a finished/used WWII case without a headstamp before now - is this usual?
Thanks in advance

I see lots of WW2 105mm US cases without headstamps. They relied on the stencilling on the cases for identification.

OK Flak18 - I have seen lots of US cases with both headstamps & stencilling & this case is good & clean with no evidence of stencilling at all.
I also see lots of cases here in Belgium of various calibers & have yet to see any with no headstamp?
Maybe in the later part of WWII they decided headstamps were too costly to bother with? I have a later case with an earlier primer?
Either way i will add to my `Oddities` part of my collection!!

I have several US cases without headstamp, 37 mm / 40 m / 105 mm and maybe more types.....

I also used to have a US 40mm Bofors with no headstamp. Only the primer was stamped.