What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors CROW

SG500

Premium Member
This ones quite an odd one. A Bofors L60 that has been converted to a Continuous ROd Warhead version (minus its fuze unfortunately).
A post war development using the Bofors projectile the idea of a Continuous ROd Warhead was to produce a ring of steel that would fly through the air and cut aircraft in two!!
The experiments didn't work too well but further development resulted in the idea being used in missiles.
These Bofors CROW projectiles come in several lengths, the one show is the shortest version.
Shown next to an L70 HE projectile for comparison.
Further information is on the link below.
Dave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous-rod_warhead

Attachments

• Beltring finds July 09 019.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 019.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 163
That's an incredible projectile,Dave,must be extremely rare.I've acquired a
few Bofors rounds myself lately. I quite like them,and there seems to be all manner of variations, a collecting field all of their own perhaps.

That's an incredible projectile,Dave,must be extremely rare.I've acquired a
few Bofors rounds myself lately. I quite like them,and there seems to be all manner of variations, a collecting field all of their own perhaps.

Thanks Chris.
Bofors are a really good round to collect. There's lots out there and they make a nice display.........and not too many people want them.........and they're quite reasonably priced unless you go for silly ones like the Bofors littlejohn, apfsds or 40/20 rounds.
Any chance of some photos of your Bofors rounds?
Dave.

Dave,

Very interesting projo! I'm thinking that it is too long to fire through the normal Bofors mechanism though. It must have been a single shot for testing purposes.

John

John yes I'd imagine it was some sort of single shot gun. This is the SHORT version, there were several types.
Dave.

Sadly,the sending of pics is still a work in progress here at Chez Thurston,
but there will be numerous Bofors rounds to see amongst what I hope will be an impressive display,once I've mastered the finer points of digital
photography.There would be several more in my collection right now,if the senders of these weren't gallivanting around at Beltring!!!!I'm only jealous
that I'm not there with them,I guess,if the truth is known!!!!
I think it was in the book on the Bofors Gun by Terry Gander,that a 1941
ammunition list was mentioned,it listed,I think,nearly 90 different marks of
Bofors ammo.There was a multitude of different HE,and a whole variety of
AP and SAP,various practice types,barrel cleaning,proof and just the one
mark of paper shot ammo,whatever that is? Quite mindboggling!!!

Sadly,the sending of pics is still a work in progress here at Chez Thurston,
but there will be numerous Bofors rounds to see amongst what I hope will be an impressive display,once I've mastered the finer points of digital
photography.There would be several more in my collection right now,if the senders of these weren't gallivanting around at Beltring!!!!I'm only jealous
that I'm not there with them,I guess,if the truth is known!!!!
I think it was in the book on the Bofors Gun by Terry Gander,that a 1941
ammunition list was mentioned,it listed,I think,nearly 90 different marks of
Bofors ammo.There was a multitude of different HE,and a whole variety of
AP and SAP,various practice types,barrel cleaning,proof and just the one
mark of paper shot ammo,whatever that is? Quite mindboggling!!!

Can't wait to see the pictures, as for 90, I've got about 20 but at least its a start.
Attached a couple of the rare ones - they may not be on the list.
Bofors 40/20 (expt fuze test round) - top of picture. Standard length 40mm necked down to 20mm.
Bofors littlejohn (on the right) with proj crimped in.
There were some cracking Bofors rounds at Beltring this year, mainly L70.
Dave.

Attachments

• Fuze test 001.jpg
    Fuze test 001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Bofors Littlejohn.jpg
    Bofors Littlejohn.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 67
Where Bofors ammo is concerned,those have definitely got to be the cherry on top of the cake,Dave.I did feel a sharp pain in the wallet, however,whilst gazing upon them!!!

Another CROW - with a difference.

Attached a couple of photos of the latest addition. The one with the brass band is the new one, the other is the one shown earlier in this thread. Both INERT and filled with wax.
Dave.

Attachments

• Another CROW 001.jpg
    Another CROW 001.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Another CROW 002.jpg
    Another CROW 002.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 36