What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors question.

Michel

small question. I come across 40mm cases all the time, but because I only collect navy casings I'm always looking if there are cases marked with the N mark for navy. And I never see them. The question is: are there any marked in this way?

Hi Michel,

Yes, I have 2, both are from the same batch.

Web Navy 40mm mk 4 001.jpgWeb Navy 40mm mk 4 003.jpgWeb Navy 40mm mk 4 004.jpgWeb Navy 40mm mk 4 009.jpgWeb Navy 40mm mk 4 010.jpgWeb Navy 40mm mk 4 011.jpg

The stencil marks are a bit hard to make out in places but are,

MNQF/R . RNP1808

M H ? II F . T. N. 2

GD 10 53

BATCH B5046

PRIMER'S

BR 4-45
JB4F

Both primers have identical markings.

All the Best.
Richard

Hi Richard,

This is very helpful, now I now that there are some out there. The only problem is I collect up to ww2. But the primers are ww2 and marked N, so maybe someone knows if there are also ww2 cases marked like this. Greets M

Hi Michel,

Had another look at my cases and found a USN 40mm case dated 1943.

Web USN 40mm 002.jpgWeb USN 40mm 003.jpgWeb USN 40mm 009.jpgWeb USN 40mm 010.jpg

The US with anchor is very small but the last 2 photo's show it quite well.

All the Best.
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update, the US one is spotted now the English one is left. The normal English one (non navy) seems to be pretty common in Holland the US one is not so common. I will double the effort to spot one. This has helped me a lot, thanks.

Groet Michel