What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm bofors rounds

Darrol

Premium Member
they look like they have been repainted and can see what looks like original paint underneath. is the clip they are held in for transport or for a diferent loading system to the large sprung clip?any info appreciated .thank you .

Attachments

• IMG20101101_001.jpg
    IMG20101101_001.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG20101101_002.jpg
    IMG20101101_002.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG20101101_003.jpg
    IMG20101101_003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 132
Your clip just looks like another variation of 40mm Bofors clip. A lot of nations used the gun, so there area lot of different versions of the clip.

Your projos do look repainted, gloss robin's egg blue is a color I've never seen before on ammo.

will strip and repaint .but will try and remove the blue and keep the original finish if paint permits .on a mission to find what gun takes a feed from that clip .thank you.regards Darrol

Darrol,

The clip is the standard one for loading the rounds directly into the auto-loader of a 40mm Bofors gun. The auto-loader would accommodate 2 such clips (8 rounds). The clip will have a manufacture year on it.

The correct colour for the projectiles is yellow (ww2 era) and I think black from the 1950s onwards. However, this may have been for Naval use only. (The U.S. used 'drab olive' for WW2 era.)

The fuses on your rounds are No. 259 dummies ('plug firing replica').

The cases you have appear to be later mark 4 versions with the smaller primers. What years are on the cases and projectiles?

Regards,

Graeme

Attachments

• an001962.jpg
    an001962.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 58
  • repainted proj 2 - Feb 2008.jpg
    repainted proj 2 - Feb 2008.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 90
I should add that the cast aluminium clip (with steel or brass retainers) is the standard British/Commonwealth clip. The U.S. used an all steel fabricated clip.

The blue color shells or TP-T o TP post-war are fairly common as both Bofors 40L/60 40L/70

Attachments

• IMG_4862.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 82
they look like they have been repainted to match each otherthere all diferent dates and are late 40s early 50s .lots of stamps even on drive bands .one fuse/firing plug is three sectioned and has all internals and all have stamps over older ones .

Darrol,

The clip is the standard one for loading the rounds directly into the auto-loader of a 40mm Bofors gun. The auto-loader would accommodate 2 such clips (8 rounds).
Graeme

As Graeme has said, this is the standard Bofors clip. The claws that hold each case by the rim are sprung loaded. The ammunition feed in the Autoloader has a ramp that firstly releases each claw to free the round, and a chute which removes the empty clip from the side of the action. All that is required is to continously feed 4rd clips into the top (and quickly, too, the rate of fire is 120 rounds per minute!), and the action separates the clips and ejects them.

Attachments

• IMG_3537-2.JPG
    IMG_3537-2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3538-2.JPG
    IMG_3538-2.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3562-2.JPG
    IMG_3562-2.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3563-2.JPG
    IMG_3563-2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
Hi
i think they are drill rep rounds that have indeed been repainted ir they are they will have a wooden spacer in the case if you take out the priners you will be able to see it with a little lite from a torch.
hope this helps
Andy

hi .they do have loose wood and what looks like clay with fibres .what do you meen by rep?thank you .darrol

Hi .i wiped of the blue paint with celly thinners and all but one has been took back to bare metal before being painted blue.the other has yellow paint which i will use as a colour guide for the repaint.what did the yellow paint represent?(just lately all the restoration jobs ive done involves yellow . .odd.)theres a little bit of stenciling left which looks like an i and the fuse looks like it could have been black. Any advice welcome. Cheers .Darrol.

what i can see is HE BEP i think .its to faint for a photo to pick up.any ideas .thanks. Darrol

Hi .does anyone have any pics of bofors projo markings .want to get it right but i cant find any pics anywere.cheers Darrol.

Hi Darrol,
Here are a few pics of one of mine as a guide line, these are wartime dated.
Best regards Weasel.40mm Bofors British 003.jpg40mm Bofors British 002.jpg40mm Bofors British 004.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics guys .the ones i have are early 50 s and one seems to only have HE REP in black across the projectile and no other marks(that i can see) not even any coloured rings .ive looked almost everywhere and havent seen another like this style with markings on yellow projo. Seems very plain.will put some pics up soon.cheers .Darrol.