What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors Unknown Projectile

Spitace41

Hi all, got this but dont recognise the projectile. Is it real? Looks like something is meant to screw to the top. Could it be some sort of practice or drill round? Shell case markings are 40mm IV P&S 1944 CF LOT 552. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC00229.jpg
    DSC00229.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 98
I think what you may have there is a shell (probably high explosive) with part of a fuze still in situ-do you know if it is empty-if not then treat as live and very dangerous and have it checked out by competent persons-it is not worth losing your life over!

No, I know. Thank you for your concern, however I can see from a hole in the top and out the other side where the primer has been removed so am 100% sure there is nothing in it :)

Great spitace41 and it is a 40mm HE shell for the 40/60 Bofors gun-you will see plenty of threads on this forum regarding these weapons and the shells they fire, they are probably the most prolific shell around as they were made in the millions during the last war and many have survived (thankfully!).
I would expect that the projectile will come out of the case with a little gentle persuassion and this may well reveal either a drilled hole or likely a threaded hole which would accept a Tracer plug or a Tracer self destruct plug-as for the fuze should you want to complete the round you will need to look for a 251 Fuze or a 252 fuze to fit it assuming you manage to remove the body of the fuze that is in there.
Welcome to the "slippery slope" of collecting ordnance !