What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm illumination question

Jawasinger

How big is the parachute in the 40mm illum projo
anyone have an extra parchute or know where I can find a couple
Thanks in advance

18" in DIA.

You can make your own out of a poncho liner if you have one. Same material. Here are measurements of the candle and parachute parts:

The candle is 2 1/4 " long, and 1 3/8 in OD, has a plastic top with cardboard sidewalls. The bottom of the flare is a molded prime comp slurry, leading to the flare itself. On the bottom is a thin rubber washer with a 1/2" hole in the center. Hooked to the plastic part at the top of the flare is a chain very similar to dog tag chain 10" long. It has a flat metal piece on both ends for attachment. The main shroud lines of the chute attach to this. The shroud lines are nylon web, 1/8" wide, and are 17" long to the chute. There is 1" extra material that is sewn into the chute. There are 4 shroud lines that are doubled at the point they go through the dog tag chain hook, so each side attaches to the chute (makes 8 lines all together).

The chute itself is made of lightweight ripstop nylon, and is 18" in diameter, and the edges are cut with a "V" notch pattern all around it. Mine has an inspector stamp on it that says "P 92". I assume that was either the year it was made, or the inspector ID number.
GROG