What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm markers?

navyman

Hello,
I've recently purchased these two inert practice 40mm rounds. The L8 A1 40x46 has a blue plastic top on the projectile which is meant to shatter on impact releasing a cloud of bright orange finely ground powder. I would like to find out which type of launcher is used to fire it, and I need to see a section or drawing of it's workings?
The second is a 40x53 round which I think may have been fired from some sort of ARV, (Scorpion)? I understand that the top of this one may contain powdered chalk, colour unknown as it has no breaks in the top.
Can anyone give me some info on these, particularly what the metal clip like device, which surrounds the case is for, and if it's removable so that I can read the designation printed there? Again, a section pic or drawing would be very helpful.
There are no headstamps on the L8 A1 apart from; 40 x 46, and on the other; 40 x 53 LOT NEU 08 J001-013. The metal clip(?) is stamped; M16 A2 and; ELP over 09A, and; 003, and; 011.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• L8 A1.jpg
    L8 A1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 40mm x 53  1a.jpg
    40mm x 53 1a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 45
I can't provide tons of information on your 40mm rounds, but I'll share what I can. They were made by NICO Pyrotechnik of Germany and since they have an L number evidently were purchased for British forces (I'll let the UK members confirm that.) use. I cannot identify the weapons used in since I am not familiar with UK systems. The short case variation is the low-velocity loading for individual handheld weapons, either specificaly for only 40mm rounds or for underbarrel systems on combat rifles, automatic weapons, etc. The long case version is for high velocity systems such as machine guns or helicopter systems. The metal device around the case is a section of a link indicating that the round was fired from a machinegun/ aircraft type weapon. The links are force fit on the case and my experience is that trying to slide them off results in a LOT of effort and a badly scared case. You could cut the link and bend it off, but it is a part of the "cartridge assembly" in this configuration and you may not want to do that. I have a drawing of the long case round with a tracer element. They are also made without the tracer, but otherwise identical as far as I know. You are correct about the marking powder. Evidently the ones without the marking powder have a completely blue body, not just a blue nose section. I do not have any information or drawings of the short case version, but coming from the same company for a similar 40mm system I would imagine the internal design is very similar. Hopefully someone will provide you with more details. Bob

Attachments

• 40mm Practice.jpg
    40mm Practice.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, the first one is British firing practice with orange powder. It is for the UGL (Underslung grenade launcher) fitted to the L85 rifle. As with the link, they do slide off but as Bob said, you will do damage, specialy to the markings as it apears to be sat directly on top.

Last edited:
Pic of UGL on L85A2

Grabbed this image from Google. This is the kit that fires your round. Appologies for the size of the image.

Attachments

• imagesCAE4SXVV.jpg
    imagesCAE4SXVV.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 19
Oh, and this maybe what shoots the other one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• newgun.jpg
    newgun.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 20